Frequently Asked Questions

What are the steps to marrying in Australia?

First you need to lodge a Notice of Intended Marriage with an Authorised Marriage Celebrant at least one month before the wedding and not more than 18 months before.

You will need to provide photo ID and proof of place and date of birth. So a passport or Birth Certificate or equivalent and Photo ID eg Drivers License Then in the days leading up to the wedding you need to sign a Declaration of No Legal Impediment to Marriage. This Declaration declares that you are old enough to be married (18 years old), you are not currently married to someone else, you are not related in a way that prohibits you from marrying and that you don’t know of any other reason you can’t be married. On the day of the wedding you sign two copies of the Official Marriage Certificate and the Presentation Certificate with two witnesses over the age of 18.

The celebrant will then lodge all documents with Births, Deaths and Marriages (BDM) and register the marriage.

Do we need to be Australian Citizens?
Not at all. Even if you are visiting Australia on any type of Visa, you are free to marry here. The same rules apply to you as they do to Australian citizens, listed above.
Do you need a marriage celebrant?
Many religious clergy are registered to legally marry couples.

Aside from that yes. The marriage celebrant is the only part of your wedding you actually need to be legally married.

When should I book my marriage celebrant?
Once you have booked your wedding venue and have confirmed your date you can book your celebrant. Many couples book their marriage celebrant two to three years before the wedding to ensure that just the right celebrant is available for their date.

As the demand for Newcastle Marriage Celebrants and Hunter Valley Marriage Celebrants is strong I welcome your enquiries.

What does a marriage ceremony look like?

There are only 5 legal components of a marriage ceremony. The rest can be made up of content that is relevant to you as discussed with your celebrant.

I have different packages available, whether you’d like a Registry Style Weddings or Elopement, Short and Sweet Ceremony, Full Romantic or Love Story Ceremony.

Once you book me as your celebrant I provide lots of inspiration to make your day special.

What does a marriage celebrant have to say?
The only things a Marriage Celebrant has to say during the ceremony are to introduce ourselves by name and we need to read the Monitum, which is the legal definition of marriage in Australia.

Everything else can be said by the couple or other people.

What if something happens and you can’t get there on our big day?
Up until the day I’m writing this I’ve never had to let down a couple on their big day. Rest assured if ever I did I’m on my deathbed, but accidents and illness happen.

I have a network of local amazing celebrants that I can call on in an emergency and I will arrange that before contacting you so that you are not stressing about that on the day.

Is it better to have a professional Master of Ceremonies (MC) for the reception?

Absolutely. A Professional MC will ensure the smooth running of all parts of the reception and make sure the energy lasts the whole reception.

They will also ensure that all of your guests are free to relax and enjoy the reception without knowing they have work to do during the festivities.

What are your fees?

My fees are absolutely reflective of the amount of work I put onto your ceremony. Get in touch for more information.

What areas do you service?

My preferred areas are all of Newcastle, The Hunter Valley, Port Stephens, Lake Macquarie, Central Coast and Sydney. Travel fees may apply for travel more than an hour from Newcastle and I love a good road or plane trip.

Happy to travel Australia wide. Get in touch and let’s discuss your dream destination.

Will everyone be able to hear the ceremony?

Yes. My state of the art PA system will ensure that everyone can hear the ceremony clearly.

How do I change my name after marriage?

Either party to the marriage can change their surname after the wedding. You can take each other’s names, hyphenate names or even combine your names. Here is a link to advise on the NSW Government website.

There are many businesses that will make it easier for you by providing pre-printed documents for a fee to help you. Here is one that I know to be reputable.

Where can a celebrant marry you?
An Australian registered Marriage Celebrant can legally marry you anywhere on Australian land, air space or waters. Just think of your dream destination and let’s see if we can make it happen.
What do I do now?

When you’ve chosen your date and location just get in touch to check my availability and I’ll look after the rest.

I’m happy to take your enquiry by phone, email, contact form or text.